Friday, May 06, 2005

An open letter to the VPAA

Jowel C. Laguerre May 6. 2005
Vice President for Academic Affairs
Truckee Meadows Community College


Mr. Laguerre,

Last year (at the precise time prescribed by UCCSN code... and as a total surprise to me)…. You decided to hand me my walking papers. When I asked (then) about who would continue the IMT program (especially the new Manufacturing Technologies degree) you did not answer (actually asked me something about could I teach math)? About a month later, at a Manufacturing Advisory Group meeting, I again inquired as to who would be teaching these new proposed classes? This time you answered "We have a year to find somebody".
The letter thanking me for my application (Manufacturing Technologies Instructor) states the College is going to “continue the search”. The letter notes that there were “a number of well-qualified candidates” (however none were hired). While I applaud your decision to find the most qualified instructor possible for the new position, handling of this does bring to mind an old proverb about switching horses in mid-stream. The academic year is about over, and it appears your search to find this “new and improved” instructor has, so far, been fruitless.

At the end of the semester, I have obtained employment back in the private sector. So closes my thirteen year career in training and education. As a result I will no longer be training for MAP, Nevada Works, Business & Industry or WNCC, which almost certainly will mean bringing in out of state “hard-skill” trainers to service local manufacturers and new companies relocating to Northern Nevada. I have informed my students that while I will not be returning next semester, I have been assured by the College the program will continue; there will be new class offerings, and there will be instructors hired (it would appear you actually have three “full-time” positions to fill: IMT, Electronics, and Manufacturing Technology and, I believe you will discover also a couple of “part-time” positions).

As a concerned Nevada citizen and taxpayer, I hold you to the task. I can only hope, for the sake of community and students, you are up to it. Regrettably, while you have had the option to expand the programs, all I have seen you do is “fire” the Dean and “shoot the only available horse”! I hold you personally responsible for the future of these programs at Edison. President Ringle has accepted grant money and I do expect you to find qualified instructors (qualifications at the very least equal to mine and superior to those applicants rejected in the last round of interviews) and to institute the program as detailed in the grant.

I hope you are as proud of your past accomplishments as I am of mine.



Charles L Dickinson
(Former) Instructor, Industrial Maintenance Technology
Truckee Meadows Community College


CC: Faculty Senate
President P. Ringle
Senator J. Ensign

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home