Sunday, March 20, 2005

Fate of Industrial Classes @ TMCC

Reviewing the non-renewal of contract letter, and my notes of that time, it appears my questions of “who would continue the IMT program?” (not answered) and, asked again “who would be teaching these new proposed classes” (answered "We (TMCC) have a year to find someone") have finally been answered as I have received my letter thanking me for my application (Manufacturing Technologies Instructor) and that the College is going to “continue the search”. The letter continues… there were a “number of well-qualified candidates”; however it appears none were hired

It looks as if there was not only a failure to find an instructor to institute new programs in the Manufacturing Technology area but TMCC has managed to shoot the only available horse (in reference to switching horses in mid-stream). I have informed my students that I will not be returning next semester and, as of yet, no new instructor has been hired. My assessment (supported by others) is that no IMT / Manufacturing Technologies programs will be offered in the fall, and in all likelihood this program, as well as the Manufacturing Technologies Program is, for all practical purposes, is dead.

It is my belief, to succeed, these classes must be taught by someone who has hands-on industrial experience in addition to the “academic educational process”.

Since receiving my letter of non-reappointment, I have talked with many people in industry and training who have validated my view (which has come from over 13 years in an industrial training environment) that qualified trainers in this field, especially at the salary level offered are going to be difficult, if not impossible to find.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home