Thursday, May 05, 2005

Dear Senator Ensign

Dear Senator Ensign,

It is with great regret I feel I must write this letter to you today. When Rich Green wrote the grant for Edison (TMCC) and you pushed it through and got it funded, there was no one more optimistic than I. However, the path that TMCC administration has taken has caused me to question, and ultimately lose all hope. I may be wrong, but it appears the administration’s handling of this project is at the least ludicrous, at worst criminal.

It was my understanding that a new position was to be created, “Manufacturing Technology Instructor”, and that the new position would interface and/or the IMT department would merge into it (there are seven IMT classes which I developed which are specifically mentioned in the grant). I was a stunned to find my contract is not being renewed. I still do not know if the IMT instructor position will be filled or is gone. The new MT instructor position also has not been filled (I applied, but it appears the committee felt I nor the other applicants were not qualified,). The College is continuing the search.
Another problem, in my opinion, neither the machining (CNC) instructor nor myself were consulted as to what we felt would be desired for lab equipment (although the grant had outlined a plan, it was clear from the first meeting that the administration was not going to follow it). I do not know whether this had anything to do with the CNC instructor quitting, but I do know that he is pretty well disgusted and will not work for TMCC again. The electronics instructor is also leaving. The administration will tell you he is retiring (true) but he also is fed up, and would not stay under any circumstances. The diesel instructor is retiring. The construction trades program is gone. The truck-driving program is gone. The librarian is gone. The “grants person” is gone. The testing center…. gone…

In hindsight I see now that the “reassignment” of Dean Verbeck was the beginning of the end for technical education at TMCC (automotive, welding and computer repair will most likely be all that survives). It’s been like watching a train wreck. Although I don’t think it can be saved, I would encourage you to look into where the money for the grant is being spent (maybe enlist the folks out at GBC and get their opinion). Even then, I’ve been told that when the equipment comes in, it will be boxed and stored. I’m sure the equipment in my labs (about $60,000 worth of equipment I have collected in the past five years) will also be “stored”. I’d wager that equipment, once boxed & stored, will never again see the light of day (except maybe at state surplus).

I’ve heard rumors that several local manufacturers would like to start their own training center (free from “academic ham-handedness” no doubt). If this is true, then maybe this equipment could be donated. Or maybe we need a state technical college system here in Nevada (I’d look up Dean Verbeck to run it). Right now, the only industrial education that will be delivered in northern Nevada will be delivered by Great Basin College (great program by the way). As I was the “part-time” electrical instructor for WNCC, and developing courses for Nevada Works, and worked for MAP, and Business & Industry (both Reno and Carson City), … my employment back in the private sector may leave a bit of a “hole” in industrial training in this area.

Before coming to TMCC, I was employed for eight years by a national training company (Sr. Instructor & Program Coordinator, electrical controls division). I quit a $64K job ($85K w/bonus’, close to $100K “total compensation package”) to go to work for TMCC ($41K) because I really thought I could make a difference (plus got tired of flying out Monday, flying back Friday). I guess the good news is that I will again be contributing quite a bit more to the tax rolls. The “bad” news is now that I’m a concerned taxpayer again… I’m going to watching TMCC & their handling of the vocational / occ.ed. programs like a hawk!

I don’t want to embarrass the administration at TMCC, nor harm the instructors (great instructors by the way… never seen such a dedicated bunch). But if it comes down to the “good of the students” vs. “the good of the College”, I’ll side with the students.

Thank You for your attention to this matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home