Thursday, March 04, 2004

Letter to Jim Rogers

Go get ‘em Jim.

"Having a chancellor with no academic administrative experience could be a problem", said Regent Doug Hill...

Frankly I don't see a problem here. Having academics administer technological programs.. now that’s a problem!! We need someone with "real world" experience (and especially since you have been putting your money where your mouth is… I think you deserve to see how some of it is being spent).

I started in telecommunications when it was two soup cans & a string (later to Industrial Instrumentation ). I have virtually no experience in “higher education” , but, for some strange reason, decided I wanted to pass along some of this knowledge I've obtained over the last 30 years. So…. for the past 5 years had been setting up a program at TMCC… Seems I’m a bit out of my league (well let’s just say I tried to play ball & you can guess where they stuck the bat)…

Those at the top who live in their Ivory Towers, have no idea what us “knuckle-draggers” (blue collar workers & tradesmen) do nor how to effectively spend the hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants to put programs in place (although they don’t seem to have any problems spending the money, I just would like to know where).

We really need someone with business & technological experience up there on that Board. Although the Legislature keeps sending money, and the media keep reassuring us that money and expertise is available to train for “High Skill, High Wage” jobs, ask anyone at any “Technical Institute” of any Community College in the state. What the Academics don’t understand, they bury.
What we need in this state is more skilled employees (not more people asking “want fries with that” with Liberal Arts degrees. Sadly I don’t think the Community College system pays any more than lip service to that goal. The need is still there. How are we going to provide the service?


CL Dickinson
(soon be ex) Instructor, Industrial Maintenance
Truckee Meadows Community College, Applied Industrial Technology, Edison Campus
Reno NV

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home